Apple Onion Grill Cheese
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 1 tablespoon butter, plus extra for buttering bread
- 1/3 cup yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 1/3 cup gouda cheese, shredded
- 2 slices prosciutto
- 1 honeycrisp apple, thinly sliced
- Preheat your Grillet® to 350°F.
- Butter one side of each slice of sourdough bread.
- In the Grillet®, melt the remaining butter and add the thinly sliced yellow onion. Sauté the onion for about 3 minutes, or until it becomes softened.
- Stir in the chopped thyme, chopped sage, crushed red pepper flakes, and a pinch of salt. Cook until the herbs become aromatic.
- Pour in the apple cider and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, stirring frequently. Transfer the grilled onion mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- Wipe the Grillet® clean and increase the heat to 375°F.
- Place one slice of bread on the grill with the buttered side down. Top with shredded gouda cheese, the grilled onion mixture, prosciutto slices, thinly sliced honeycrisp apple, and the other slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Grill the sandwich for about 3 minutes on one side, then carefully flip it over and grill for another 3 minutes on the other side, until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted.
- Once the sandwich is cooked to your liking, remove it from the grill and serve hot.