Arugula & Mushroom Macaroni and Cheese
- 16 oz. shell macaroni
- ¼ cup plus 3 tbsp olive oil
- 12 oz. white mushrooms, sliced
- about 8 cups baby arugula (roughly 32-oz. bag, more or less depending on your liking)
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 2½ cups half-and-half
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 16 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 7 oz. extra sharp cheddar, shredded
- 4 oz. Gruyere, shredded
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- While the oven is heating, bring a large pot of water to a boil; add the macaroni and cook until al dente, about 6 minutes. Note that if you’d like, you can perform this step in your multicooker using Sauté-then-Simmer STS®.
- Strain the pasta, saving 1¾ cups of the pasta water; set both aside. If you used the mutlicooker to cook your pasta, rinse out and fully dry the inner pot then return it to the cooker.
- Set your cooker for the Sauté-then-Simmer STS® function. Add 3 tablespoons of the oil, close the lid and let it heat briefly.
- Add the mushrooms and cook with the lid open for about 5 minutes until lightly browned and starting to soften.
- Add in the arugula, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook while stirring with a long-handled wooden or heat safe spoon until the arugula is wilted but still a bright green, about 3 minutes.
- Scoop out the mushroom mixture into a bowl and set aside.
- Carefully remove the inner pot and rinse thoroughly then dry completely; return it to the cooker.
- Again set your cooker for the Sauté-then-Simmer STS® function. Add the half-and-half and cayenne and bring it to a simmer with the lid open.
- Once simmering, cook for about 15 minutes while stirring often until it has reduced by about 1 cup.
- Switch the cooker to KEEP WARM and add the cream cheese, whisking until melted.
- Whisk in the shredded cheddar and Gruyere until melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Add in the macaroni and reserved pasta water; stir to combine.
- Gently fold in the mushroom and arugula mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Turn off the cooker and scoop the macaroni and cheese into the casserole dish.
- In a separate bowl, mix the bread crumbs and remaining olive oil; sprinkle evenly over the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes until lightly browned. Let cool at least 5 minutes before serving.