Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 5 tbsp butter
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1½ cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets
- 2½ cups sharp cheddar, shredded
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Set your multicooker for Sauté-Then-Simmer STS®. Close the lid and let it heat briefly.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the butter to the inner pot and let it melt. Once melted, add the onion, carrots, and celery.
- Cook for about 7 minutes until soft while stirring frequently with a long-handled wooden or heat safe spoon.
- Add in the rest of the butter and the flour. Stir constantly to melt the butter and coat all of the vegetables with the flour.
- Continue to stir and cook the flour, about 4 minutes. It should be starting to turn slightly brown.
- Gradually pour in the milk while stirring, then the vegetable stock. Stir well to combine.
- Allow the soup to come to a simmer for 30 minutes. Note that the automatic turn-off might switch your cooker from Sauté-Then-Simmer STS® to Keep Warm. If this happens, simply reset the cooker for STS.
- Add in the chopped broccoli florets. Stir well and let cook another 10 minutes until the broccoli is cooked.
- Switch the cooker to Keep Warm. Stir in the cheese until melted and fully incorporated.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste, then serve.