Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
For the chicken:
- 3 chicken breasts, halved horizontally to make 6 fillets
- 2 eggs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup Italian breadcrumbs
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
For the sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 14 oz. canned tomato sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon sugar
For the topping:
- about 12 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced into 12 slices
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
*if you don’t want to make sauce, use 16 ounces of pre-made marinara
- In a large shallow dish, such as a casserole dish, whisk together the eggs, garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Add the chicken to the egg mixture and turn it over a few times to ensure each fillet is evenly coated with the mixture. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and let the chicken marinate in the fridge while you prepare the sauce, or for at least 15 minutes if using premade sauce.
- Add the oil to the cooking pan of the air fryer. Close the lid, set the cooker to HIGH, and the timer for 30 minutes.
- Allow the oil to heat for 5 minutes, then add the chopped onion.
- Cook for about 10 minutes until translucent, opening the lid to stir every few minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute until fragrant.
- Add the tomato sauce, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and sugar to the onion and garlic mixture. Stir well.
- Close the lid of the air fryer and switch the cooker to the MED setting. Allow the sauce to cook until the timer goes off, opening the lid occasionally to stir.
- When the timer goes off, use a spoon to scoop the sauce out of the pan and transfer it to a bowl; set aside.
- Remove the cooking pan from the air fryer using the cool-touch handles. Rinse the pan with cold water, then dry it thoroughly and return it to the air fryer.
- In a large shallow bowl or pie dish, mix together the two types of breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and onion powder. You can also use a plate, but it might get a bit messier.
- Dip each of the chicken fillets into the breadcrumb mixture, fully coating them. Transfer the breaded fillets to a plate and set them aside until all fillets are breaded.
- Place three of the breaded chicken fillets into the air fryer. Make sure the air fryer is set to the MED setting. Close the lid and set the timer for 12 minutes.
- After the timer goes off, flip over the chicken fillets.
- Top each piece of chicken with a generous serving of the prepared sauce, two slices of mozzarella cheese, and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.
- Close the lid of the air fryer and set the timer for an additional 8 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, carefully remove the chicken using a rubber spatula. Repeat the cooking and topping process with the remaining three chicken fillets.
- Serve the chicken fillets hot, either on their own or over pasta.