French Onion Soup Bombs
- 1 can flaky biscuit dough (8 biscuits)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- salt & pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup red wine
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
- 8 slices mozzarella
- chopped parsley, to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- Separate the biscuit dough. Shape each biscuit into a small ball, rolling it between your hands so it stays.
- Bake biscuits according to package instructions in the DoveWare casserole dish, adding a couple extra minutes so they become golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool while you make the soup, leaving the oven turned on. If you do not have an oven or wish to save time, use premade dinner rolls.
- Set the cooker for Sauté-Then-Simmer STS®; close the lid and let it heat briefly.
- Add the butter to the inner pot and allow it to melt.
- When it is melted, add in the onion and thyme then season with salt and pepper.
- Cook while stirring occasionally with a long-handled wooden or heat safe spoon until soft and caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the thyme and add the wine.
- Allow to come to a simmer and cook until most of the wine is gone, just a few minutes.
- Add in the flour and garlic and cook while continuously stirring until the garlic is fragrant, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the stock and stir until fully combined. Let it simmer for a few minutes until thickened.
- Turn off the cooker and let sit.
- Using a paring knife, hollow out the middle of each roll, making a little cup for the soup bug being sure to not cut through the bottom.
- Sprinkle some of the swiss into the holes of each of the rolls. Place in the casserole dish and bake in the 350° oven for 7 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Remove the rolls from the oven. Spoon some of the soup into each one and then cover the top of each with a slice of mozzarella.
- Bake another 5-7 minutes until the cheese is fully melted.
- Remove from the oven, let cool 5 minutes then garnish with parsley and serve.