Hasselback Potatoes with Fried Eggs
- 4 russet potatoes, scrubbed clean
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil (NOT olive oil; its smoking point is too low)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ½-¾ lb. cheddar cheese, sliced
- 4 eggs
- chopped fresh chives, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400°.
- Make slices across the width of a potato without slicing through all of the way. Try to leave about ¼-inch of unsliced potato on the bottom. Keep in mind you want the slices to be even and about the same size.
- Repeat with the remaining potatoes and place in the casserole dish.
- Mix together the melted butter and oil. Use a brush to brush it over the potatoes, making sure to get some between the slices. Keep brushing until all of the butter oil mixture is gone.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 1 hour. Halfway through the cooking time, remove from the oven and brush the potatoes again a few times with the drippings from the casserole dish.
- After 1 hour, remove from the oven.
- Take the slices of cheese and cut them each into 3 strips. Carefully stuff the strips of cheese between the slices of each potato; try to cut off any extra cheese on the edges.
- After stuffing the potatoes, return to the oven for 5-10 minutes until the cheese is all melted and gooey.
- While the potatoes are finishing cooking, cook the eggs in a pan to your liking. I prefer sunny side up so the yolk is still runny and delicious.
- When the potatoes are done, take them out of the oven and top each with an egg. Garnish with chives and additional salt and pepper. Enjoy!