KOREAN MARINATED MAYAK EGGS
7 minutes, then marinate overnight
- 2 1⁄2 cups water, divided
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups ice water
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp dark corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 chili pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 tbsp toasted seaweed flakes
- Pour 2 cups of water into your rice cooker. Place the eggs in the steam tray, close the lid, and cook on the STEAM setting for 7 minutes.
- Immediately transfer the cooked eggs to a bowl of ice water to cool. Once cooled, drain the eggs and gently peel them.
- In a large bowl, combine the soy sauce, remaining ½ cup of water, sugar, and dark corn syrup. Stir vigorously until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add the peeled eggs to the soy sauce marinade, along with the diced onion, minced garlic, and sliced chili pepper.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate the mixture overnight in an airtight container, allowing the flavors to develop.
- To serve, place the marinated eggs on a plate and sprinkle with chopped scallions and toasted seaweed flakes.
- Enjoy these flavorful marinated eggs as a delicious and savory snack or add them to your favorite dishes for an extra burst of flavor!