Mediterranean Bulgur Salad
for the salad:
- 1 cup bulgur, rinsed
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken (or veggie) broth
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- 1 small English (or Hothouse) cucumber, diced
- ½ cup chopped cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- ⅓ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 15 oz. canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- feta cheese (optional)
for the dressing:
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- Add rinsed bulgur, broth, and olive oil to the inner pot of your rice cooker.
- Give the ingredients a quick stir, then close the lid and press the Brown Rice button. The timer will count down the final 12 minutes of cook time.
- When finished, the rice cooker will beep and switch to Keep Warm mode. For softer bulgur, leave it on Keep Warm for 10 minutes before serving.
- When bulgur is finished cooking, set aside to cool in a separate bowl before preparing salad.
- Add the chopped onion, cucumber, tomatoes, parsley and chickpeas to the bulgur.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients together, pour over the bulgur salad and stir well.
- Transfer the salad to a plate or bowl, top with feta cheese (if using), and enjoy.