ROAST TURKEY WITH HERBED GARLIC BUTTER
- 1 frozen turkey (22 lbs)
- 2 lemons, zested and halved
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 bunch fresh rosemary
- 1 orange, halved
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 head of garlic, halved
- Preheat your roaster oven to 375°F.
- In a bowl, combine the lemon zest, chopped thyme, salt, and pepper with the softened butter, mixing until well blended.
- Remove the giblets from the turkey, rinse the turkey inside and out with water, and pat it dry.
- Carefully separate the turkey skin from the breast by gently sliding your hand under the skin. Be careful not to tear the skin.
- Spread half of the herbed butter mixture under the turkey skin, ensuring even distribution over the breast meat. Rub the remainder of the herbed butter over the surface of the turkey, coating it evenly.
- Fill the turkey cavity with the bunch of fresh rosemary, lemon halves, orange halves, quartered onion, and halved head of garlic.
- Place the prepared turkey in the preheated roaster oven and roast for about 4.5 hours, or until the thickest part of the turkey thigh reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
- Once the turkey is fully cooked, carefully remove it from the roaster oven and transfer it to a cutting board. Cover the turkey with aluminum foil and let it rest for about 30 minutes. This resting period allows the juices to redistribute throughout the meat.
- After resting, carve the turkey into slices and serve.