Savory Bread Pudding
- 1/2 loaf egg-based bread (such as challah or brioche), cut into cubes
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 cups deli ham, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, salt, and pepper.
- Add the cubed bread to the mixture. Gently stir to combine, then let the bread steep in the mixture for about 20 minutes.
- Place the butter in the inner pot of your rice cooker and turn on the Sauté-then-Simmer® (STS) function. Allow the butter to melt, then sauté the chopped onion until it becomes translucent and soft.
- Stir in the chopped deli ham and continue to sauté for about 10 minutes, or until the ham is slightly seared.
- Pour the steeped bread cubes into the inner pot. Mix in the grated cheddar cheese, stirring gently to evenly distribute all the ingredients.
- Once everything is well mixed, close the lid of the rice cooker and allow the mixture to simmer until the unit automatically switches to Keep Warm mode.
- Serve the bread pudding warm, topped with fresh parsley, and optionally, hot sauce or other condiments according to your preference.