Stuffed Mashed Potato Bites
- 2 cups cold mashed potatoes (pre-made)
- ¼ cup fresh chives, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 16 half-inch cubes of Velveeta cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a large bowl, mix together the cold mashed potatoes and minced chives. Season with salt and pepper.
- Take a golf ball-sized portion of the mashed potato mixture and press a cube of Velveeta cheese into the center. Form the mashed potatoes around the cheese, ensuring it’s completely enclosed. Roll into a ball and set aside.
- Repeat the process with the remaining mashed potatoes and Velveeta cubes.
- Place the mashed potato balls on a baking sheet and freeze for about 15 minutes to firm up.
- After freezing, roll each mashed potato ball in flour, then dip into the beaten eggs, and finally coat with Panko bread crumbs. Make sure each ball is evenly coated. Return the coated balls to the freezer and chill for at least an hour until firm.
- In a Dutch oven or deep pot, add enough vegetable oil to reach a depth of about 2 inches. Heat the oil to 350°F (175°C), using a deep-fry thermometer to monitor the temperature.
- Line a plate with paper towels and place a cooling rack nearby.
- Carefully place a couple of the coated mashed potato balls into the hot oil using a metal skimmer or slotted spoon. Fry for 2-3 minutes, until they turn golden brown and crispy, and you can hear them sizzling.
- Use the skimmer to remove the potato bites from the oil and transfer them to the paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Allow the potato bites to cool for about 30 seconds, then transfer them to the cooling rack to continue cooling and crisping.
- Repeat the frying process with the remaining potato bites.
- Serve the crispy mashed potato bites while still warm and enjoy!