Brown Sugar Boba Milk Tea
- 4 teabags of your choice
- 6 cups milk
- 65ml water
- 45g dark brown sugar
- 110g tapioca starch, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup water (for braising syrup)
- 90g dark brown sugar (for braising syrup)
- Fill your electric water kettle with milk and teabags. Bring to a boil then let the teabags steep in the milk for 5 minutes. Strain out the teabag and pour the milk tea into a jar or cup to cold down.
- After washing your kettle, Pour the water and sugar in, and bring it to boil. In a large bowl, sift the tapioca starch and make sure no large lumps remain, then pour in the boil brown sugar water all in once and mix with a firm spatula until everything is evenly mixed into brown dough forms, and roll the big dough into small balls.
- Ready a large pot of water and bring it to a boil. Add in the tapioca pearls and keep the water on a rolling boil for 20 minutes until the tapioca pearls are cooked through. Once the pearls are cooked, transfer them into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process and firm up slightly.
- Add the water and brown sugar to a pot and bring it to a boil. Add in the chilled tapioca pearls and turn the heat down to simmer for 20 minutes until the braising liquid turns thick and syrupy.
- To serve, tilt the glass or cup at a 45° angle, and place the tapioca pearls close to the lip of the glass, letting them slide down to the base. Repeat this on all sides to get a ripple effect, then add the ice cubes and milk tea.